World Lion Day 2023: World Lion Day is celebrated annually on August 10 to celebrate the life of the ‘King of the Jungle’. The day was founded by the Big Cat Rescue team, which was also joined by the National Geographic Organization. It serves as a reminder for people to act on the challenges faced by lions around the world to maintain ecological and cultural balance around the world.
World Lion Day 2023: theme
The theme for World Lion Day 2023 has not yet been announced.
What is the story behind World Lion Day?
Big Cat Rescue, the world’s largest accredited lion sanctuary, established World Lion Day in 2013. It was co-founded by Dereck and Beverly Joubert, a husband and wife team who recognized the need to draw attention to the decline of lion populations and the constant threats they face. The Jouberts contacted “National Geographic” in 2009 to create the Big Cat Initiative (BCI).
They later launched an initiative to unite National Geographic and the Big Cat Initiative under a single banner to protect the remaining lions. Since then, World Lion Day has been celebrated annually on August 10 to raise awareness of lion conservation issues and celebrate the beauty and importance of these iconic big cats.
Why is World Lion Day celebrated?
According to the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, lions are designated as a vulnerable species. And in numbers, there are only between 30,000 and 100,000 lions left in the world. Therefore, it becomes imperative to take crucial measures to save and increase the lion population.
World Lion Day plays an important role in raising awareness and taking action for the conservation of natural habitats for the survival of lions. The day aims to gather support and cooperation globally, start conversations and build a community that takes action and encourages to save the majestic big cats.
World Lion Day 2023: famous quotes
- “A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man.” – Turkish proverb
- “It is better to go in the dark when you have to pass a lion on the way and there is no other way.” -Robert E. Howard
- “A wounded lion still wants to roar.” -Randy Pausch
- “The lion does not need everyone to fear him, only those closest to where he roams.” -AJ Darkholme
- “Love has the face of a goddess, but the claws of a lion.” – Ivan Panin
- “He who dwells in number harbors evil in value; the lion never counts the flock that surrounds him, nor does he weigh how many flocks he has to disperse”. -Aaron Hill
- “The truth is like a lion. You don’t have to defend it. “He will defend himself.” – San Agustin
- “A lion doesn’t care about the opinion of the sheep.” -George R.R. Martin
- “It is not by chance that the photographer becomes a photographer, just as the lion tamer does not become a lion tamer.” -Dorothea Lange
- “The lion is an emblem of the dream of absolute power and, as a wild rather than a domestic animal, belongs to a world outside the realm of society and culture.” -Charles H. Hinnant
- “Yet the lion is seldom heard, let alone seen.” -John Hanning Speke.
- “If you ever feel like an animal among men, be a lion.” -Criss Jami,
- “The difference between a brave man and a coward is that a coward thinks twice before jumping into a cage with a lion. The brave man does not know what a lion is. He just believes that he does.” -Charles Bukowski
- “The greatest fear in the world is the opinion of others. And the moment you stop being afraid of the crowd, you are no longer a sheep, you become a lion. A great roar arises in your heart, the roar of freedom. -Osho.
- “The truth does not hide in a cave and hide like a lie. She roams with pride and roars loud as a lion.” -Suzy Kassem
- “Familiarity makes the lion more dangerous.” -Jocelyn Murray.
- “Do what you do; do it like a lion, with all your heart.” – Hard Tiwari
- “It is not in the nature of the lamb to cry to the lion.” -Peter Watts
- “A dog may feel as majestic as a lion, may bark as loud as a roar, may have a heart as powerful and brave as the heart of a lion, but at the end of the day, a dog is a dog and a lion is a lion. —Charlyn Khater
- “The lion is never afraid to walk alone.” -Lailah Gifty Akita
In conclusion, World Lion Day is an event to promote the conservation of big cats. Also, start conversations about challenges and threats to natural habitats and wildlife.
Important days and dates in August 2023