The best Nelson Mandela quotes: Nelson Mandela is the greatest symbol of South Africa’s freedom. Mandela, South Africa’s first democratically elected president, dedicated his entire life to the service of humanity. And today, on the 105th anniversary of his birth, we celebrate his legacy. Let us reinforce his dedication and passion for the well-being of society with the best words to encourage, inspire and enlighten others.
Tuesdays #MandelaDay And every day, YOU can build on Mandela’s legacy and change the world for the better.
— United Nations (@UN)
July 18, 2023
Nelson Mandela International Day 2023: Date, Theme, Importance and Why is it celebrated?
About Nelson Mandela
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was born on July 18, 1918 in Mvezo, Cape Province, South Africa. He was a prominent anti-apartheid activist and the first black president of South Africa (1994-1999). Mandela dedicated his life to fighting against racial segregation and inequality.
His achievements are numerous, but he is best known for his instrumental role in dismantling apartheid, a system of institutionalized racial segregation, and promoting reconciliation in South Africa. Mandela’s leadership and advocacy of peaceful resistance earned him international recognition. He received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993, along with South African President FW de Klerk, for his efforts to peacefully end apartheid.
Mandela’s fight against apartheid lasted several decades. In 1964, he was sentenced to life imprisonment for his participation in armed resistance against the apartheid regime. He spent 27 years in prison, mostly on Robben Island. Mandela’s imprisonment became a symbol of the global anti-apartheid movement and he continued to be an influential figure even while he was imprisoned.
After his release in 1990, Mandela played a crucial role in negotiating the peaceful transition of power in South Africa. He became the country’s first black president in 1994, leading the nation through a period of transition and reconciliation. Mandela’s presidency focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid, promoting human rights and fostering racial harmony.
Nelson Mandela passed away on December 5, 2013, at the age of 95. His death was mourned around the world and he left a legacy of courage, resilience and dedication to justice and equality. Mandela’s life serves as an inspiration to people around the world, demonstrating the power of forgiveness, reconciliation and the pursuit of justice in the face of adversity.
Nelson Mandela’s biography
Inspirational and motivational quotes from Nelson Mandela
- “Don’t judge me by my successes, judge me by the times I fell and got up.”
- “It always seems impossible until it’s done.”
- “Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world.”
- “You can’t be prepared for something while secretly believing it won’t happen.”
- “What counts in life is not the mere fact of having lived. It is the difference we have made in the lives of others that will determine the importance of the life we lead.”
- “Resentment is like drinking poison and then expecting it to kill your enemies.”
- “Because being free is not simply throwing off one’s chains, but living in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”
- “There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which oneself has changed.”
- “I have taken a moment here to rest, to take in the glorious view around me, to remember the distance I have traveled. But I can only rest for a moment, because with freedom comes responsibilities, and I dare to do so. I do not delay, because my long journey is not over.”
- “Lead from behind and let others believe they are in front.”
- “I’m not a saint unless you think a saint is a sinner who keeps trying.”
- “There is no passion to be found in playing small, settling for a life that is less than what you are capable of living.”
- “As I said, the first thing is to be honest with yourself. “You can never have an impact on society if you haven’t changed yourself.”
- “Everyone can overcome their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated and passionate about what they do.”
- “It is said that no one truly knows a nation until he has been inside its prisons.”
- “A winner is a dreamer who never gives up.”
- “Live life as if no one is watching and express yourself as if everyone is listening.”
- “I hate racial discrimination most intensely and in all its manifestations. I have fought against it my entire life; “I fight against it now and I will until the end of my days.”
- “Sometimes it’s up to a generation to be great, you can be that generation.”
- “It’s what we do with what we have, not what we’re given, that separates one person from another.”
- “We must use time creatively and forever realize that the time to do the right thing has always come.”
- “There is universal respect and even admiration for those who are humble and simple by nature, and who have absolute trust in all human beings, regardless of their social status.”
- “I have never cared much about personal awards. A person does not become a freedom fighter hoping to win awards.”
- “I never lose. I either win or I learn.”
Top 45 APJ Abdul Kalam Quotes to Inspire and Motivate
Famous Nelson Mandela Quotes
- “I like friends who have independent minds because they tend to make you see problems from all angles.”
- “The goodness of man is a flame that can be hidden but never extinguished.”
- “I learned that to humiliate another person is to make him suffer an unnecessarily cruel fate. Even as a child, I defeated my opponents without dishonoring them.”
- “Although I am a sociable person, I love solitude even more.”
- “A nation should not be judged by how it treats its highest citizens, but its lowest.”
- “The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
- “Your position depends on where you sit.”
- “I am the captain of my soul.”
- “Appearances matter and remember to smile.”
- “After climbing a big hill, you discover that there are still many more hills to climb.”
- “Nothing is black or white.”
- “The great peacemakers are all upright, honest, but humble people.”
- “Freedom is indivisible; the chains of any of my people were the chains of all of them, the chains of all my people were the chains of me.”
- “There can be no deeper revelation of the soul of a society than the way it treats its children.”
- “Meet your enemy and learn about their favorite sport.”
- “Quitting smoking is also leading.”
- “When the water starts to boil it is foolish to turn off the fire.”
- “The important thing for success is not where to start, but how high to aim.”
- “Keep your friends close and your rivals even closer.”
- “Let your greatness flourish.”
- “Walk softly, breathe calmly, laugh hysterically.”
- “In some ways, it’s easier to be a dissident, because then you have no responsibility.”
- “When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw.”
- “A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. But when you add to that a literate language or pen, you get something very special.”
Nelson Mandela teaches the world the values of perseverance, forgiveness and the power of unity in the face of oppression. His life teaches us the importance of fighting for justice, promoting equality and embracing the principles of reconciliation and peaceful coexistence.
Important days and dates in July 2023