Asia Cup 2023 is on the horizon and there was a lot of controversy surrounding the much-awaited clash between India and Pakistan. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) refused to allow the Indian team to travel to Pakistan due to poor cross-border relations between the two countries.
However, the BCCI and other countries participating in the Asia Cup accepted the hybrid model proposed by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), breaking the deadlock between the two teams. The Asia Cup 2023 will now be held smoothly in Pakistan and at a neutral venue to facilitate India.
Dive in to know what the hybrid model is in cricket and how it works.
Asia Cup 2023: format, calendar, venues, dates
ICC Cricket World Cup 2023: Schedule, Matches, Teams, Stadium, Venues, Online Ticket Booking
What is the hybrid model at Cricket?
- The hybrid model is a relatively new rule established in cricket and has been under discussion last year due to the Asia Cup 2023 controversy between India and Pakistan.
- India refused to travel to Asia Cup host Pakistan due to strained diplomatic relations and security issues. Pakistan, in turn, threatened to boycott the ICC Cricket World Cup.
- The PCB proposed a hybrid mode, in which games involving India would be played outside Pakistan, in neutral territories such as Sri Lanka or Bangladesh.
- Both countries had initially rejected the hybrid model, but after much consideration, Sri Lanka agreed to host India’s Asia Cup games. The United Arab Emirates was also cited as a possible venue for Indian matches. India was also not very interested in the model, but BCCI president Jay Shah reportedly agreed to the terms of the PCB.
- As such, through the hybrid model, Pakistan retains hosting rights for the Asia Cup, while India plays its matches in Sri Lanka, a neutral venue from the perspective of both warring countries.
- The final will also be played in Sri Lanka. All matches outside India will take place as planned in Pakistan itself.
- This plan was hatched by PCB director Najam Sethi.
BREAKING NEWS: ACC Chairman Jay Shah has accepted PCB’s proposed hybrid model for Asia Cup 2023. India and Super Fours matches likely to be played in Sri Lanka and rest of the group stage matches , including ‘Nepal vs Pakistan’, will be played in Pakistan. #AsiaCup2023 pic.twitter.com/wEcOAKyfMJ
— #AsiaCup #AsiaCup2023 #IPL2023 #PakvInd (@ICC_CricInfo)
June 11, 2023
Asia Cup 2023: India vs Pakistan
- The Asia Cup is a popular cricket tournament held every two years between cricket-playing nations in Asia.
- Pakistan is the host of the Asia Cup 2023, the 16th edition of the championship. Sri Lanka are the co-hosts and defending champions.
- 6 teams participate in the tournament: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Nepal.
- Thirteen games will be played over the course of a month from September 10, 2023 to September 28. All matches will follow the One Day International (ODI) format.
Hopefully, with the hybrid model, all the games will go smoothly and fans will enjoy another successful edition of the Asia Cup.
Highest team scores in ICC Cricket World Cup
India’s Most Successful Cricket Captains