PAN card is an important document required for various financial transactions including income tax filing and return filing. According to a statement by the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), the date for linking Aadhaar with PAN has been extended to June 30, 2023. Therefore, today is the last day and there is no silence to extend it further.
The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) reported a notable difference between the number of PAN cards issued and those linked to Aadhaar numbers. A report published in February states that approximately 610 million individual PANs have been issued so far. Around 480 million of them have been connected to Aadhaar. You can use this article as a complete guide to help you link your Aadhaar to your PAN card, check your status online, and more.
What are the different ways to link Aadhaar with PAN card?
- Type “UIDPAN
- Send this SMS to 56161 or 567678.
NOTE: Only use your registered mobile to complete this process.
Through the Income Tax Department Portal
- Visit the official e-filing portal.
- Click on the Aadhaar link option under the Quick Links tab.
- Enter your Aadhaar and PAN card numbers.
- Confirm your PAN card and mobile number to receive OTP.
- Now go to Income Tax Declaration Process and enter the payment method and the assessment year.
- Once your payment is successful, your PAN card will be linked to your Aadhaar.
Also, there was no fee for linking Aadhaar and PAN till March 31, 2022, ITD introduced a charge of Rs. 500 for Aadhaar-PAN linking between April and June 2022. And now, whoever links their Aadhaar to PAN after July 2022 will have to pay a sum of Rs 1,000 as fee.
Differences between UPI, NEFT, IMPS and RTGS
How to check Aadhaar PAN link status?
Follow this step by step guide to check Aadhaar PAN link status:
- Visit the official website of Income Tax Department.
- Now enter your 10-digit PAN number and 12-digit Aadhaar number.
- Proceed to ‘View Aadhaar Link Status’.
- You will get your information in the next few seconds.
Digital Rupee vs UPI vs Digital Currency
What are the disadvantages of not linking Aadhaar with PAN?
Just in case, if you are also thinking about passing this ultimatum, don’t do it. Once your PAN card stops working, you will not be able to use or perform different government services such as:
- Filing an income tax return with an inoperative PAN card will be difficult.
- No processing will be performed on pending tax returns.
- Unusable PAN cards cannot receive pending tax refunds.
- Once the PAN is no longer active, pending proceedings, such as those involving defective returns, cannot be completed.
- Once the PAN becomes inactive, the tax must be withheld at a higher rate.
- An invalid PAN card cannot be used for important payment transactions.
Tech Guide: What are the latest UPI transaction rules for NRIs?
For your information, the importance of PAN Aadhaar linking can be attributed to the fact that it prevents tax evasion by ensuring that a person’s PAN is linked to his Aadhaar, which provides a distinctive identification number. Additionally, it makes it easier to file income tax returns and makes it easier for the government to authenticate citizens’ identities.